Location: Main Exhibit Hall
Blue - $5
Red - $3
White - Ribbon only
Special trophy for “Best Apple Pie” with Keeper plaque donated by
Special Merit Awards will be considered including "Best Chocolate Chip Cookie," "Best of Theme."
RECIPE must be included with each entry for consideration for a Blue, Best of Class, Best of Show, or Special Merit Ribbon.
PIES will ONLY be accepted in a 9" disposable pie tin – no glass or reusable pie tins which cook differently than aluminum pie tins.They must be cooled before judging (don't bring hot out of the oven after 4p.m.)
DISPOSABLE clear plastic containers are provided in required sizes (9" x 6" square, 4x8" long, 9" circular and 4x4" square). Your item will be repackaged to fit one of these containers OR you can pick up a container ahead of time at the fair office or Printonyx (470 Reed Street). Ziplock bags are not required this year.
Disposable containers (see above) are required for all entries except decorated cakes. This helps in displaying and keeping out fruit flies and bees. Carefully read each category.*
1. All exhibits must be homemade from scratch. No packaged mixes will be accepted. Even decorated cakes may be judged on their taste, if it comes to a tie.
2. Exhibitors are limited to 8 entries in this department.
3. All entries must be safely storable for five days without refrigeration. Cream or filled pies and pastry which require refrigeration are not accepted and will be disqualified from judging. This includes cream cheese frostings.
4. Submission of recipe used is optional, but is REQUIRED to be considered for a Blue, Best of Class, Best of Show or Special Merit Ribbon. be stapled to the entry tag in a specially provided clear sleeve so that it may be displayed to fairgoers after judging.
6. Youth entries by persons 16 years of age and under will be judged separately in every category. Entry tags must be labeled “YOUTH” in the upper corner.
7. Unless objection is made in writing at the time of registration, samples of all entries may be served to visitors after the judging.
8. Exhibits must be picked up on Sunday between 9 AM and 12 Noon. Fair Board cannot guarantee return of any items after that time, including ribbons.
JUDGING WILL BE BASED ON THE FOLLOWING
1. Overall Appearance
2. Consistency (size and shape)
5. Moistness, crispness and/or crumb texture
5. Creativity (appearance, ingredients, etc.)
7. Judging will be based on merit and many blue, red and white ribbons may be awarded. Only Cookies will be judged by Lots
CLASS I: COOKIES (Baked-NO Rice Krispy or unbaked cookies)
Enter only SIX 3-4" size cookies or EIGHT 2" or smaller cookies to fit in 4"x8" container.
Lot 1: Drop cookies (with fruit, nuts, candy or chocolate)
Lot 2: Brownies and bar cookies
Lot 3: Rolled cookies (cut out) & refrigerator cookies (sliced)
CLASS II: CAKES, CUPCAKES & TORTES
Enter FOUR cupcakes or one whole item NOT MORE THAN 9"W x 6.5"L x 3"H inches across, 1-2 layers (3" high) which should fit. This class includes: iced or plain, white, yellow, chocolate, Bundkuchen, Kugelhoff, chiffon or angel food, upside down, fruit or vegetable, tortes, and undecorated cupcakes.
CLASS III: DECORATED CAKES, CUPCAKES & COOKIES
Unless noted, enter whole item on sturdy disposable plate or tray with a lid (check out Marketplace's offerings). This class includes: gingerbread house, sheet cake or special shape, wedding or groom’s cake, and decorated cup cakes (provide four).
CLASS IV: YEAST BREADS
Unless noted, enter onewhole loaf, standard in size to fit in 9"W x 6.5"L x 3.5"H. This class includes: white, wheat, rye, sourdough, french, braided bread, specialty, rolls (four), sweet rolls (four), fancy or braided rolls (four), pretzels (four), and bread sticks (four).
CLASS V: QUICKBREADS
Enter one whole loaf, standard in size disposable aluminum pan with lid (check out Marketplace's offerings) OR without the pan to fit in 9"W x 6.5"L x 3.5"H. This class includes: banana, apple sauce, fresh or dried fruit, nut, spiced, zucchini, carrot, tea ring, and coffee cake.
CLASS VI: BREAKFAST BREADS
Enter four to fit in a 9" round plastic container. This class includes: biscuits, scones, muffins, and croissants.
CLASS VII: PIES & TARTS
PIES will ONLY be accepted in a 9" disposable pie tin (no glass or reusable pie tins which cook differently than aluminum pie tins) and must be cooled before judging (don't bring hot out of the oven after 4p.m.) All pies and tarts will be donated to the FHES pie booth immediately following judging. One piece will be kept on display and pies will not be available for taste testing. This class includes: apple, berry, beach or nectarine, cherry, rhubarb, nut, cobbler and other fruit/crust combinations. NO CREAM, CUSTARD, OR WHIPPED CREAM BASED PIES ACCEPTED.
CLASS VIII: CANDY
Enter EIGHT pieces. This class includes: divinity, fudge, taffy, peanut brittle, caramel, and other candy (cooked only).
CLASS IX: Healthful Baked Goods
This category encourages low in sugar, fat, salt and additives. Unless noted, use size and packaging requirements in similar items above. RECIPE required so that "healthful" aspects can be determined. This class includes whole grain cereal (1-2 cups in a glass jar) as well as any items that are vegan, gluten free, dairy free or egg free.
CLASS X: HERITAGE RECIPES
These should be old family favorites and may be any category of baked goods but will be judged against other Heritage Recipes only (unless considered for best of show). Presentation is important and the recipe is required. Please do not submit the original recipe card. Print, copy or type the recipe and include history of the item’s significance in your family. Pictures may be part of the presentation.