& Kay Unger firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Main Exhibit Hall
Blue - $5
Red - $3
White - Ribbon only
Special trophy for “Best Apple Pie” with Keeper plaque donated by
RECIPE must be included with each entry for consideration for a Blue, Best of Class, Best of Show, or Special Merit Ribbon.
PIES will ONLY be accepted in a 9" disposable pie tin (no glass or reusable pie tins which cook differently than aluminum pie tins) and must be cooled before judging (don't bring hot out of the oven after 4p.m.)
DISPOSABLE pans with lids are recommended in an effort to help keep frosted or decorated items looking their best.
*Re-sealable bags or disposable pans with lids are required for all entries except decorated cakes. This helps in displaying and keeping out fruit flies and bees. Carefully read each
1. All exhibits must be homemade from scratch. No packaged mix will be accepted. Even decorated cakes may be judged on their taste, if it comes to a tie.
2. Exhibitors are limited to 8 entries in this department.
3. All entries must be safely storable for five days without refrigeration. Cream or filled pies and pastry which require refrigeration are not accepted and will be disqualified from judging.
4. All entries (except decorated cakes) must be on disposable containers, inside a re-sealable (Ziploc) bag.
5. Submission of recipe used is optional, but is REQUIRED to be considered for a Blue, Best of Class, Best of Show or Special Merit Ribbon. Recipe must be on a 3 x 5 index card and
stapled to the entry tag so that it may be displayed to fairgoers after judging.
6. Youth entries by
persons 16 years of age and under will be judged separately.
Entry tags must be
labeled “YOUTH”in the upper corner.
7. Unless objection is made in writing at the time of registration, samples of all entries may be served to visitors after the judging.
8. Exhibits must be picked up on Sunday between 9 AM and 12 Noon. Fair Board cannot
guarantee return of any items after that time, including ribbons.
JUDGING WILL BE BASED ON THE FOLLOWING
1. Overall Appearance
2. Consistency (size and shape)
5. Moistness, crispness and/or crumb texture
5. Creativity (appearance, ingredients, etc.)
7. Judging will be based on merit and many blue, red and white
ribbons may be
awarded. Typically we do not judge on lots.
CLASS I: COOKIE
Enter only FIVE 3" size cookies or SEVEN 2" or smaller cookies on 6-7-inch paper plate inside quart or sandwich size re-sealable bag.
This class includes: drop cookies (with fruit, nuts, candy or chocolate), brownies and bar cookies, rolled cookies (cut out),
refrigerator cookies (sliced) and other cookies.
CLASS II: CAKES,
CUPCAKES & TORTES
Enter FOUR cupcakes or one whole item NOT MORE THAN 9 inches across, 1-2 layers, on cardboard wrapped in foil or disposable plate and in re-sealable bag, if possible.
This class includes: iced or plain, white, yellow, chocolate, Bundkuchen,
Kugelhoff, chiffon or angel food, upside down, fruit or vegetable, tortes, and
CUPCAKES & COOKIES
Unless noted, enter whole item on sturdy disposable plate in gallon size re-sealable bag.
This class includes:
gingerbread house, sheet cake or special shape,
wedding or groom’s cake, and decorated cup cakes (four).
CLASS IV: YEAST BREADS
Unless noted, enter one whole loaf, standard in size, on a disposable plate to fit in no larger than gallon size re-sealable bag.
This class includes: white, wheat, rye, sourdough, french, braided bread, specialty, rolls (four), sweet rolls (four), fancy or braided rolls (four),
pretzels (four), and bread sticks (four).
Enter one whole loaf, standard in size, in 6 to 9" aluminum pan with lid or on disposable plate inside re-sealable plastic bag.
This class includes:
banana, apple sauce, fresh or dried fruit, nut, spiced, zucchini, carrot, tea ring, and coffee cake.
Enter four on 6-7 inch plate inside re-sealable bag.
This class includes:
biscuits, scones, muffins, and croissants.
PIES & TARTS
PIES will ONLY be accepted in a 9" disposable pie tin (no glass or reusable pie tins which cook differently than aluminum pie tins) and must be cooled before judging (don't bring hot out of the oven after 4p.m.) All piesand tarts will be donated to the FHES pie booth immediately following judging. One piece will be kept on display and pies will not be available for taste testing.
This class includes: apple, berry, beach or nectarine, cherry, rhubarb, nut, cobbler and other fruit/crust combinations.
CLASS VIII: CANDY
Enter SIX pieces on 6-7 inch plate inside re-sealable bag.
This class includes: divinity, fudge, taffy, peanut brittle, caramel, and other candy (cooked
Healthful Baked Goods
This category encourages low in sugar, fat, salt and additives. Unless noted, use size and packaging
requirements in similar items above. RECIPE required so that "healthful" aspects can be determined.
This class includes whole grain cereal (1-2 cups in re-sealable jar or bag) as well as any items that are vegan, gluten free, dairy free or egg free.
CLASS X: HERITAGE RECIPES
These should be old family favorites and may be any category of baked goods but will be judged against other Heritage Recipes
only (unless considered for best of show). Presentation is important and the recipe is required. Please do not submit the original recipe card. Print, copy or type the recipe and
include history of the item’s significance in your family. Pictures may be part of the presentation.