FOOD PRESERVATION (Q)
Superintendent: Minnie Knych firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Main Building
Best of Class: Rosette Ribbon Best of Show: Rosette Ribbon
White: Ribbon Only
OPEN JUDGING WILL BE HELD ON WEDNESDAY MORNING
- Danish System of judging will be used
- ENTRIES MUST NOT BE LARGER THAN A QUART FOR SAFETY
Judging will be done using current USDA recommended standards. Bulletins with this information are available from the County Extension office.Superintendents retain the right to disqualify any entry not meeting these standards.
- Products entered must be processed within the 12 months prior to the Fair.
- All entries must be prepared using WSU, Ball/Kerr, Pectin Box, and USDA or
the book, So Easy to Preserve published by University of GA recommendations
- ANY PRODUCT SEALED BY INVERSION METHOD WILL NOT BE
- Entry tag must be complete with all pertinent information.
- Water bath processed canned goods must be in standard canning jars (such as
Kerr, Ball, Ideal) and sealed with lids.
- Please check USDA recipes for processing times requirement on size jars.
- All jars must be clean.
- Honey Entries: Must be in glass jar. NO PLASTIC.
- Vinegars must not be touching lid. Use glass containers with screw cap or cork.
NO plastic. Indicate whether the vinegar is infused or fermented.
- Dried foods must be exhibited in clear glass jars. Plastic bags will be
- JAMS AND JELLIES SEALED WITH PARAFFIN WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- COLORED JARS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR JUDGING.
Class I: Fruit
Class II: Vegetables
Class III: Canned Meat and Seafood
Class IV: Fruit Spreads Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Marmalades, & Butters
Lot 1: JAMS
Lot 2: JELLIES
Lot 3: Conserves & Fruit Butters
Lot 4: Marmalades
Lot 5: Preserves
Lot 6: Syrups
Class V: Honey
Lot 1. Comb
Lot 2. Honey
Lot 3. Pollen
Lot 4. Other
Class VI: Pickles and Relishes
Class VII: Sauces
Lot 1. Barbecue Sauce
Lot 2. Catsup
Lot 3. Chili Sauce
Lot 4. Horseradish
Lot 5. Mustard
Lot 6. Salsa
Lot 7. Other
Class VIII: Vinegars
Lots 1: Fermented Vinegar
Lot 2: Infused Vinegar
Class IX: Dehydrated Food STANDARDS FOR JUDGING:
- Must be in clear glass jars
- Include Date Processed
- Method – Time and temperature used for processing (i.e. dehydrated 6
hours at what temperature)
- Uniform Size and Shape
- Free from visible mold growth and moisture;
- Color appropriate for product, not too dark.
- Fruit – Leathery and pliable
- Vegetables – Brittle, hard, leathery or pliable, as applies to each vegetable
- Leathers – Cut in 3-inch wide rolls
Lot 1. Fruit
Lot 2. Fruit Leathers
Lot 3. Vegetables
Lot 4. Nuts
Lot 5. Herbs
Lot 6. Cured & Smoked Meat & Seafood
RULES: Meat and Seafood Jerky must be dried according to instructions in CSU Safe Meats or from U of GA So Easy To Preserve
- FREEZE DRIED PRODUCTS – are welcome to be entered.
Class X. MIXES
- Mixes should be in clear glass jars and must have contents and a recipe attached.