ISLAND WRITERS (Z)
Location: Main Building
All entries must include an Open Class Exhibitor Form with entry (available to print from Fair Website: www.sjcfair.org)
Prize money will be awarded to Adults (18 and older) and Young Adult (11-17) only.All youth (10 and under) who enter their writing will receive a special ribbon.
White Ribbon only
ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED OR
POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN
Aug. 1st, 2023
1. Limit of four entries per person.
2. All entries must be written by the entrant, original in 2022/2023 and unpublished.
3. Please submit four copies (not necessary If emailing) of each entry for judging purposes. The title should be at the top of the first page of each copy. Your name should not appear on these copies.
4. Include one title page per entry that includes
• word count (prose) or line count (poetry) ,
• class and lot
• your name
• age group (adult, young adult: 11-17, youth: 10 and under)
• phone number and/or e-mail address
5. Creative nonfiction may include writing such as essays, memoirs, literary journalism, narrative history, and travel writing.
6. Any entries exceeding the established word or line count for the lot in which it is entered in may not be judged.
7. Entries must be typed on 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper in 12pt font. Prose must be double-spaced.Poetry should be single-spaced.
8. Entries can be mailed, emailed or dropped off at the Fairgrounds.
Class l: Prose
a. Short fiction -- 1,500 words or less
b. Creative nonfiction - any subject - 1500 words or less “Dancing with the Steers” -750 words; creative nonfiction or fiction
c. New Language - 750 words or less text, tweet, rap format
Class ll: Poetry
a. Poetry, rhymed - 50 lines or less
b. Poetry, unrhymed - 50 lines or less
c. Fair theme: "Dancing with the Steers" - 50 lines, may be rhymed or unrhymed
Class lll: Writing for Children
1. Short fiction only
2. 1000 Words or less
3. Appropriate themes, topics, and language for children
4. Target audience - children aged preschool to 8 years
5. Do not include illustrations of any kind
MAIL ENTRIES TO:
SJC Parks & Fair,
350 Court St. #8,
Aug. 1st, 2023
E-MAIL ENTRIES TO: