Please include an Open Class Exhibitor Form with entry
(Available to print from Fair Website or local libraries)
Location: Main Exhibit Hall, NE Corner
Prize money will be awarded to Adults (18 and older) and Young Adult (11-17) only.All youth (10 and under) who enter their
writing will receive a special ribbon
White Ribbon only
ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED OR POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN
1. Limit of four entries per person.
2. All entries must be written by the entrant, original in 2015/2016 and unpublished.
3. Please submit two copies (not necessary If emailing) of each entry for judging purposes. The title should be at the top of
the first page of each copy.Your name should not appear on these copies.
4. Include one title page per entry that includes
word count (prose) or line count (poetry),
class and lot
age group (adult, young adult: 11-17, youth: 10 and under)
phone number and/or e-mail address
5. Creative nonfiction may include writing such as essays, memoirs, literary journalism, narrative history, and travel writing.
6. Any entries exceeding the established word or
line count for the lot in which it is entered in may not be judged.
7. Entries must be typed on 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper in 12pt font. Prose must be double-spaced.Poetry should be single-spaced.
8. Entries can be mailed, emailed or dropped off at the Fairgrounds.
9. An Open Class Exhibitors form must be filled out and submitted with your entry. Forms are available at local libraries and online on the Fair website (in the island writer’s section).
10. All entries must be picked up on Sunday, from 9 a.m. to noon in the Main Exhibit Hall.
Class I: Prose
1. Short fiction -- 1,500 words or less
2. Creative nonfiction - any subject - 1500 words or less
3. Fair theme: "It’s All the Buzz” 750 words; creative nonfiction or fiction
4. New Language - 750 words or less text, tweet, rap format
Class II: Poetry
1. Poetry, rhymed - 50 lines or less
2. Poetry, unrhymed - 50 lines or less
3. Fair theme: "It’s All the Buzz" - 50 lines, may be rhymed or unrhymed
Class III: Lot I Writing for Children
1. Short fiction only
2. 1000 Words or less
3. Appropriate themes, topics, and language for children
4. Target audience - children aged preschool to 8 years
5. Do not include illustrations of any kind
MAIL ENTRIES TO: Island Writers
c/o San Juan County Fair
PO BOX 1094
Friday Harbor, WA 98250
Postmarked by July 1
E-MAIL ENTRIES TO: