The San Juan County Fair is lucky to work with local artists who have agreed to volunteer their time and work to make each year's Fair poster special (check out previous posters below!). Are you or someone you know a professional or an aspiring artist? If you would like to participate by donating your talent to the Fair, please see poster guidelines and submission deadlines below:
POSTER SUBMISSION DEADLINES
- Submissions accepted from anyone that is a San Juan County Resident.
- As the lead advertising and marketing image for the Fair event, each year's Fair poster must have four key text phrases worked into the design "San Juan County Fair" the fair dates "August 15-18, 2018", the 2018 Fair theme "Rockin' the Salish Sea" and the fair website "www.sjcfair.org".
- Concept must include some rendition of theme and Fair elements (this is vague--could be the islands, farm animals, agricultural, summer season, carnival rides--sky is the limit!)
- Sizing must be an 11" x 17" (ideal size) or 8.5" x 11"
- Art can be any medium, but final copy must be submitted in digital form (this is for printing purposes, and online sharing). Artist is responsible for producing the final digital image (high-resolution) so the work is properly represented.
- A scan/photo of a "concept draft" sent to Fair Board for consideration via email by February 7th, 2018 (email email@example.com). This can be a sketch, an outline or partial piece depicting the intended design. The Fair Board may offer suggestions to design concepts.
- Fair Board reviews submissions at regular scheduled Fair Board meeting on Thursday February 8, 2018.
- Poster Artist chosen is asked to produce final digital version of poster art by March Fair Board meeting, March 8, 2018.
- Ideal if original artwork could be displayed at the Fair!
- Artist exposure! Between the marketing and the press that picks up information on the poster artist, this is a great way to get your name out there and share your talent!
- You're helping out a locally produced event and being involved in your community and the largest county-wide event in the islands!
- You're joining fellow artists in Fair history!
- Your work is shared both locally and beyond via regional and local newspaper, online blog and event sites, local newspapers and flyer boards, bulletin boards on all the ferry-served islands, as well as on ferries (artist name not permitted on ferry poster copies)
- You'll receive a limited-edition t-shirt for the 2018 Fair, a family pass to the entire Fair, and a Fair "swag bag" full of goodies!
- BONUS: The donation of your artwork is tax deductable (San Juan County is a
political subdivision of Washington State. Contributions made to San
Juan County are tax deductible under Internal Revenue Service Code
Section 170(c)(1), which states: “a contribution or gift to or for the
use of a State, a possession of the United States, or any political
subdivision of any of the foregoing shall be deductible for Federal
Income Tax purposes, but only if the contribution or gift is made for
exclusively public purposes).
Thank you to all you show interest in contributing to the San Juan County Fair! See Posters from previous years below for inspiration!